City of Siloam Springs, ARAnimal Services


Animal Services



Animal Services Q & A


Where is the shelter located?
Our offices and shelter are located at the intersection of North Lincoln
and Ashley streets (1/2 mile north of the National Guard Armory, just past the rarilroad track). 


When is the shelter open?
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  We are closed to the public on Wednesday and Sunday.  Please call us at 524-6535 for an appointment to view or redeem animals. 


When are the Officers available?
Officers are on duty from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through
Saturday and can be reached at 524-6536. Emergency animal service is provided 24-hours a day, 7 days a week at 524-4118.


What is Animal Services responsible for?

  • Enforcing City animal ordinances.
  • Capturing and impounding stray, nuisance and injured animals.
  • Providing animal registration
  • Investigating animal bites and overseeing rabies quarantine
  • Investigating and enforcing dangerous and vicious animal laws
  • Investigates animal cruelty and neglect complaints
  • Educating pet owners about their responsibilities
  • Providing adoption, redemption, and surrender services
  • Removing deceased animals and relocating nuisance wildlife.


What is Animal Services not responsible for?

Providing veterinary services including sterilization

  • Boarding of owned animals
  • Nuisance bird relocation
  • Bee relocation


What if I lose my pet?
Search your surrounding neighborhood and then visit our Animal Shelter
at 1300 East Ashley.  We recommend that you visit our facility at least every
other day to look for your animal.

Should I vaccinate my animal against rabies?

Regardless of an animal's lifestyle, the State of Arkansas requires that
a licensed veterinarian vaccinate all dogs and cats over the age of three
months against rabies. While not currently wide spread, rabies is still
prevalent in the wild and is a threat that requires constant vigilance.


Why do I need to register my animal?
To comply with city ordinances. It is the best way to recover a lost pet.
It ensures rabies vaccination. It promotes spay and neutering.
It is a valuable statistical tool. It raises revenue. It drastically reduces
the feral animal population.

How do I register my animal?
You must have a current annual rabies vaccination certificate from
a licensed veterinarian for each dog and cat. State law requires that
an animal must be at least three months old. Furnish or mail the rabies
certificate to our office located at 1300 East Ashley with the annual fee
of $5.00 for each altered animal or $10.00 for each intact animal. You must
show documentation of spay or neuter to receive the $5.00 fee. The
registration and identification tag will be mailed to you within ten working
days. Citizens over age 62 or with disabilities who possess altered animals
are required to register their animals, but are exempt from paying the
fees. You are required to attach the registration tag to your dog's collar.
Cats are not required by law to wear registration tags, however we highly
recommend this since a tag is provided and it is the best way to return
a lost cat to it's owner.

Why should I spay or neuter my pet?

Spaying dogs and cats eliminates the heat cycle and the possibility of pregnancy. Complications often accompany pregnancy that can be life threatening for the animal and expensive for the owner. Spaying greatly reduces the incidence of cancer and reproductive infections. Neutering eliminates testicular cancer and decreases the incidence of prostrate disease. It greatly reduces the incidence of spraying, marking territory, and undesirable behavior associated with reproduction. Spaying and neutering is good for the community because sterilized animals’ exhibit less behavioral and temperament problems than those that have been altered. Sterilized dogs are 85% less likely to bite. Sterilization reduces the urge to roam that exposes pets to fights, injury, poisoning, traffic injuries, exposure to infectious diseases, and death. Surgical sterilization reduces the overall animal population decreasing the chance of dog packs and unwitting cat breeders that increase the probability of nuisance complaints, damage to personal property, and attacks on adults, children, and legally confined animals.

How does Animal Services handle animal noise complaints?
Animal Services will evaluate the welfare of the animal first. If the
animal's welfare is acceptable, we advise the owner concerning the
complaint and ask that they take measures to quiet their animal(s).
Animal Services keeps records of all complaints. If the complaining party
signs an affidavit, our department may issue a citation. Animal Services
will not issue a citation for a plaintiff without sworn affidavit to appear
in court with the defendant and citing officer.

Is there a leash law in Siloam Springs?
Allowing an animal to run loose is unlawful. All pets, including cats,
regardless of age, must be restrained on leashes at all times unless
confined on or within the owner's property. Each running at large violation
carries a minimum fine of $25.00 plus $25.00 court costs. If an animal
is seen and documented running at large by an officer, a 36-month
probationary period begins for the owner. Three violations within the
probationary period will result in a mandatory court appearance before
a judge, and possible revocation of the animal registration, impoundment,
and destruction of the animal at the owner's expense. Mandatory court
appearance citations may be more punitive due to the discretion of the District Judge.


Animal Services

1300 East Ashley
(479) 524-6535

James Harris-

Animal Services Manager

(479) 524-6535

Greg Neely -

Public Safety Director

(479) 524-3103

Print Page  
    © Copyright 2015 City of Siloam Springs | General Disclaimer | Contact Information Website by LiveLight!