In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between escaping safely from a fire or having a life end in tragedy. That’s why this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. Yes, it's Fire Prevention Week October 8-14, 2017, although this information is always important and useful.
During fire prevention week, the Siloam Springs Fire Department teaches our community about how to keep themselves and their families safe from fires. Here are some basics to prepare your family.
EVERY SECOND COUNTS:
How fast does fire move? Very fast. You could have less than two minutes to get out safely once the smoke alarm sounds.
PRACTICE YOUR ESCAPE PLAN:
- Have a map of your home with all the windows and doors
- Find two ways out of every room
- Make sure doors and windows are not blocked
- Choose and outside meeting place in front of your home
- Push the test button to sound the smoke alarm
- Practice your drill with everyone in the home
- Get outside to your meeting place
HAVE WORKING SMOKE ALARMS:
Many fire-related deaths occur in homes without smoke alarms. Did you know that the Siloam Springs Fire Department has a program where they will come and install working smoke alarms for you in your home at no charge?
For more information, please check out www.firepreventionweek.org or call our Fire Department directly at 479-524-3103.