How should YOU prepare for severe weather?
- Gather information throughout the day from a variety of sources. Redundancy in weather information gather is a good thing.
- Weather radio programmed to Siloam Springs area
- Siloam Alert
- Technology- website, social media, smart phone apps
Why should YOU have a severe weather plan?
- Ultimately it’s up to each individual to respond to severe weather.
- For example, if you live in a home with a basement you can easily take shelter there, but if you live in a mobile home, you need to plan well in advance to take shelter at a friend or family members home.
How do YOU know when to implement your severe plan?
- Again, that’s up to the individual. Some people choose to take cover and get in their safe place when a tornado warning is activated. Others choose to implement their plan when the meteorologist on the TV says to take cover.
- A lot of factors go into when to implement a severe weather plan? Do you have children or people who need a little more time to take cover and get to their safe place? Do you have an interior room (preferably a bathroom with no windows) that’s easy to get to?
Where should YOU take cover during severe weather?
- The safest place to take shelter is in your home 98% of the time. The exception to that is if you live in a mobile home. Remember the acronym DUCK.
- Underneath something sturdy
- Centermost park of your home
- Keep away from windows
What basics do YOU need in your emergency kit?
- 3-day water supply (1 gallon per person per day)
- 3-day supply of food that won’t spoil and a way to open it
- One change of clothing and shoes per person (closed-toed shoes)
- One blanket or sleeping bag per person
- First aid kit that includes family prescriptions, eyeglasses, contacts, etc.
- Emergency tools
- Extra set of car keys
- Toiletries and moist towelettes
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Special items for infants, elderly or special need family members
- Battery powered radio
- Per carrier, leash and pet food for 3 days
- Cellphone and chargers